Bye bye interns!

Last week marked the end of the PEY journey for the 2015-2016 interns and the effects are already being felt.  The environment is a lot quieter (the new interns aren’t quite as ‘involved’ as the last batch), however, that may not always be a bad thing.  While I will miss their company, I am sure that everyone will still get along just fine and work will continue chugging along at a good pace.

As for me personally, I have inherited all the leftover work from the interns, so at least that should keep me busy for a while.  I finally finished the 3D CAD objects in my previous post, and now I have moved onto another project involving being able to import data from other programs into Wysiwyg.  It’s a pretty interesting task because each software manages their data a specific way – for example, “position” is defined by a specific location in three dimensional space, however, objects do not have a specific reference point.  One software may define the position of the centre of the object whereas another might define it from a different location.  It is my task to accommodate the reference points of several popular software suites to ensure data is imported as expected. While doing so, I am getting a better understanding of linear algebra, which was also a subject I struggled with in school.  I can say soon I will be an expert!  … Hopefully.

As for an update with Firefox, just a few hours ago I pushed my first bug fix to the Mozreview platform for code review.  It was quite a daunting task (it took several hours for such a small bug) as it included understanding and navigating the monolithic code base.  Of course, being a mainly Windows user, I struggled sometimes at getting Firefox to build successfully.  Reading the error/compiler issues and then researching online was a crucial step forward – think of it as laying the foundation for what is to come.  I strongly believe that trying to play with the code first is the most important part of learning, rather than giving up and asking for assistance.  As such, this has given me quite a good understanding of how the front-end Javascript interacts with the backend C++ code.  Refactoring (which was my task) was a great way to begin my open-source contributions because it requires me to look around and see just what effects changing something will have.  I look forward to further contributions!

Author:

Passionate computer scientist, avid swimmer, big nerd.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s