I have officially (re)started my software development job at CAST Software. There are many new faces but I’m confident that everyone will continue to be friendly – the company has always been a close-knit group of people.
Today was a quick ramp-up session, but since I am already familiar with the code base I jumped into my first two bugs which were fairly minor. Off to a good start – my hands remember all the Visual Studio shortcuts even if my brain does not.
Eight hours later, I’m back at home headphones on and my Ubuntu VM running. I said I would continue working with Mozilla on open-source software following my Capstone project and I did mean that. Today I addressed an issue that a user had reported – it’s nice to see people actually using our work! The problem was that while using our GitHub Gist extension for Jupyter, it was confusing and difficult to get running – ambiguous error messages plaguing the terminal. I removed the incorrect error messages and cleaned up by the storage of OAuth credentials to provide a smoother experience.
By isolating the location of the credentials to its own file loaded on start-up, all unrelated Jupyter code will continue to run as expected without any interference from our add-on (previously we stored the GitHub information in a file used in many aspects of the software). Modularity is key. I eagerly await some feedback and if I get the green light, I can start on the next feature!